Saturday, March 23, 2013

Student to a teacher - the transformation!

Well it is not teacher's day, it is not student's day but a day of realization for me which I wanted to share with the whole world!I am a learner and will always be one!

I just realized that it has been close to year since I blogged... too long a gap.. but many things have kept me really really busy.. my M.Sc theory exams and sister's wedding, freelance projects.. but that does not mean I stop writing.. does it?? Sudden realization ;)..

Well this blog is just to tell the story of how I transformed from a student to a teacher and how it feels. After my son's birth, I have always been taking up only part time assignments.. I have been into technical writing, creating technical presentations, done diet counselling, conducted corporate workshops but teaching was something I had never ventured into..

My first teaching assignment was given to me by my mentor- Dr. Dharini Krishnan. Dharini ma'am has created one of the most exquisite diet softwares called E-digest. It helps you to do all your diet calculations within minutes right upto the micronutrient value. I was thrilled when one fine day she called me and asked me if I could train a group of students in Mumbai. It had been long since I had used the software but I was the topper in my batch and it didn't take me long to get back to my basics. This is where I became "Preethi Ma'am" to a few students.

Then the next path breaker came when Anuradha ma'am gave me the opportunity as a guest lecturer. I am indeed so very grateful to her. She has made me realize what is the value of a teacher and how influential can a teacher be. I love Anu ma'am's enthusiasm and charisma and she will surely be a source of inspiration to me! Well this has made me think deep and once my M.Sc is done, I might just think about giving the UGC NET exam so that I can officially qualify as a teacher. Well those are long distance dreams.

How could I forget to mention Renuka ma'am? If there is something called discipline, punctuality, ethics you need to learn from Renuka ma'am. She is a fountain of knowledge and an ever ready dynamo to learn and teach.

As of now I am glad to be a teacher. It has really been a path of transformation and made me more mature. I have come to realize that my field is an ocean and I can swim into any part of the ocean. Learning is a beautiful process but what you learn, how you learn and what you want to give back is what ultimately matters!

3 comments:

  1. Good, reflections Preethi. I wish you all the very best a s a teacher in your own field. May you shine further and let that glow ignite the future generation of students placed in your care. GOd Bless You.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nalini ma'am.. feels so wonderful when my old teachers remember me and encourage me to keep going :)

      Delete
  2. Read your Blog the same day you posted Preethi forgot to add comment.Keep up the good work. Geeta Mami

    ReplyDelete